Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Riptide


By Hector Vance

I once got caught in a riptide
My feet yanked out from under me,
salt water stinging my eyes, my hands dragging across the sand.

I once got caught in a riptide,
A question like, “Do you love me?’ was a disgusting profanity, a curl of water that pulled my view from the shore.

I once got caught in a riptide
It was only after it violently wrenched my heart in half that I understood it was called a RIPtide.

I once got caught in a riptide.
The halls were crevasses and the classrooms were caves, and yet, although it seemed like there would be handholds- the only person holding my hand was the sick grasp of death.


I once got caught in a riptide.
I speak for that screaming moment when they bowed their heads, and my head went stiff , my eyes stuck open, I couldn’t do anything but glare, and I prefer to think that was never glaring at god,  but when I was young I learned that god was ubiquitous so if I scream at the sky, or sing to my friend in the ground,  god hears every word, every thought.
It’s a riptide

Riptide.
I once got caught in a riptide.
I once got caught in a riptide.
Riptide.
I once got caught in a riptide.


I once got caught in a riptide.

We all came into this world screaming.



7 comments:

  1. that last line though. that got me. and the whole riptide analogy thing that was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was goooooooood. I don't even know what the word ubiquitous means but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohhhh i loved this. "god hears every word every thought."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The entire thought of a riptide..great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah Tyler! If you keep writing like this you'll have to start selling ad space

    ReplyDelete